I have been in the mood for something banana and something baked for about a week. Today I finished with my work early and decided I was going to bake a banana cake much to my Mom’s dismay!
I found a recipe on um. I’m blanking right now where I found it. I have to look it up again. Anyway, people raved about it so I wanted to also!
Believe me, I’m raving. This is a good banana cake recipe. It was very similar to the banana cupcake that I did before.
Anyway, I decided to make this a triple layer cake! While the third layer was cooling and I was busy away frosting the other two layers, I got a little impatient.
I know, I know, me? Impatient?! Never!!
I’m sad to say I was. I plopped that third layer on there and started frosting away. I finished frosting, gawked at the prettiness of it and then cut into it. The warm cake caught up with it though. The layer was melting the frosting!
You can see it really well there! The frosting running down the cake! Nice!
It was delicious and frosted with Maple Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It was warm enough and not too cold to make the SMBC.
Oh and you know, electric mixers definitely help make that buttercream. Big time. Banana accent idea of Shaina.
Want the recipe?
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 – 8 inch round pans. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in the bananas. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and place on a damp tea towel to cool.